by Brianna Crandall — December 20, 2017 — Global building technology society ASHRAE just announced the recent launch of the Building Energy Quotient (Building EQ) Portal, designed to provide a faster, more automated approach to receive a Building EQ Performance Score from ASHRAE.
Hugh Crowther, Building EQ committee chair, explained:
The primary goal of the Building EQ program is to promote more energy-efficient buildings and give owners actionable recommendations to improve a building’s energy use. We’re excited to launch this integrated resource that will help users identify opportunities to lower building operating cost and make informed decisions to increase value.
Building EQ rests on ASHRAE methodologies and standards and the experience of credentialed practitioners. These characteristics assure owners they are receiving reliable and consistent results and recommendations.
According to the ASHRAE Web site, Building EQ connects building owners and managers with energy audit solutions; identifies recommendations for retrofits, maintenance and upgrades; calculates payback of prospective energy improvements and upgrades; and improves building energy performance and reduces costs.
Two different evaluations — “In Operation” and “As Designed” — can be used independently to compare a candidate building to other similar buildings in the same climate zone or together for an assessment of a building’s design potential compared to actual operation. In Operation compares actual building energy use based on metered energy information. As Designed compares potential energy use based on the building’s physical characteristics and systems with standardized energy use simulation. The In Operation rating is available now, and the As Designed rating will be available in early 2018.
The Building EQ In Operation rating assists in the preparation of an ASHRAE Level 1 Energy Audit to identify means to improve a building’s energy performance including low-cost, no-cost energy efficiency measures and an Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) survey with recorded measurements to provide additional information to assess a building’s performance.
Metered energy data can now be downloaded into the Building EQ Portal from the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. Other features include an Online Data Entry and submission process, Median EUI calculation aligned with ENERGY STAR, and an improved submission approval process.
The Building EQ Portal delivers the following items:
- Building EQ Performance Score rates the building’s performance and is shown on the screen at all times for all projects.
- User Input Report documents the data entered into the Building EQ Portal for a specific project and is available for all submissions.
- Building EQ Label Report displays the Building EQ Performance Score and is available for approved submissions.
- Building EQ Disclosure Report presents key energy use information for compliance with disclosure ordinances and will be available for a fee for approved submissions.
- Audit Report Spreadsheets will be automatically populated with the information gathered during the In Operation assessment for use in a final audit report and will be available for a fee for approved submission.
To learn more about the Building EQ Portal, visit the ASHRAE Web site.