by Brianna Crandall — June 30, 2017 — The commercial real estate industry honored 15 commercial properties with The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) Awards Tuesday night at the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International’s annual conference, the 2017 BOMA International Conference and Expo in Nashville.
The TOBY Awards are the commercial real estate industry’s highest recognition honoring excellence in commercial building management and operations in specific categories of building size or type. To win an International TOBY Award, a property first must win both local and regional competitions. Judging is based on community impact, tenant and employee relations programs, energy management systems, accessibility, emergency evacuation procedures, building personnel training programs and overall quality indicators. A team of expert industry professionals also conducted comprehensive building inspections.
The following properties, managing companies and owners were honored with 2017 TOBY Awards in the categories indicated, including an asterisk for buildings that are also designated as a BOMA 360 Performance Program building for operational best practices:
- Corporate Facility: HESS Tower*, Houston, TX; managed by CBRE, owned by HT Houston Portfolio, LP
- Earth: 71 South Wacker*, Chicago, IL; managed by JLL, owned by Irvine Company
- Government Building: 2 Capitol Square, Atlanta, GA; managed and owned by the Georgia Building Authority
- Historical Building: The Wrigley Building*, Chicago, IL; managed by Zeller Realty Group, owned by BDT Capital Partners, LLC and Zeller Realty Group
- Industrial Office Building: Kennedy Matheson Industrial Complex, Mississauga, ON, Canada; managed by Menkes Property Management Services Ltd., owned by 3883281 Canada Inc.
- Medical Office Building: East Calgary Health Centre, Calgary, AB, Canada; managed by Bentall Kennedy (Canada) LP, owned by Beacon Hill Apartments Ltd.
- Renovated Building: One Shell Plaza*, Houston, TX; managed by Hines Interests, LP, owned by Busycon Properties, LLC
- Retail Building: CF Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada; managed and owned by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Ltd.
- Suburban Office Park Low-Rise: The Summit at Lantana, Austin, TX; managed by HPI Real Estate Management, owned by 7171 SW Parkway Associates, LP
- Suburban Office Park Mid-Rise: Centennial Lakes Office Park*, Edina, MN; managed by Cushman & Wakefield/NorthMarq, owned by Centennial Lakes I-V, LLC
- Under 100,000 Square Feet: 6525 The Corners, Norcross, GA; managed by CBRE, owned by Glenfield Capital
- 100,000 to 249,999 Square Feet: The Addison*, Dallas, TX; managed by Holt Lunsford Commercial, owned by AD Addison, LLC
- 250,000 to 499,999 Square Feet: 100 Bayview Circle, Newport Beach, CA; managed by RiverRock Real Estate Group, owned by AEW Capital Management
- 500,000 to One Million Square Feet: 411 East Wisconsin Center*, Milwaukee, WI; managed by Riverview Realty Management, owned by FMC Investment Opportunities 411 East Wisconsin SP
- Over One Million Square Feet: Toronto-Dominion Centre*, Toronto, ON, Canada; managed by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Ltd., owned by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Ltd. and OPB (TDC), Inc.
* Also a BOMA 360 Performance Program building
The 2017 TOBY Awards were sponsored by The Home Depot.