by Brianna Crandall — March 20, 2017 — Peosta, Iowa-based DuctSox, a fabric HVAC air-dispersion systems manufacturer, recently introduced the dBSilencer, which the company says is the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) industry’s first fabric sound attenuator for fabric ductwork systems. The dBSilencer is engineered to quiet air handling unit (AHU) and variable air volume (VAV) box operational and airflow noise in the 500 to 2,000 Hz octave bands by 28 to 35 dB in offices, libraries, museums, classrooms and other sound-sensitive areas.
The patent-pending dBSilencer fabric sound attenuator is available in sizes of 12- to 36-inch diameter in 2-inch increments and all standard colors. It is wider than the ductwork it accompanies to accommodate a 4-inch-thick wall of sound-absorbing rock wool covered by a specialized fabric interior wall.
The dBSilencer fabric sound attenuator also offers an optional center bullet version for nearly double the attenuation that is suitable for larger mechanical equipment, whereas the without-bullet version is designed for quieter equipment and variable air volume (VAV) systems.
The dBSilencer was successfully tested by Intertek Labs, Cortland, NY, under ASTM-E477-2013 criteria. A third-party laboratory review by JGL Acoustics, Issaquah, WA, revealed both the center bullet and without-bullet versions as comparable to metal-based attenuators at 100 to 500 Hz and superior at 500- to 8,000-Hz ranges.
Both the versions use DuctSox’s patented SkeleCore FTS In-Duct Tensioning System as an internal structural support and for ceiling-mounting independently of the cable or track suspension system. Using SkeleCore in the accompanying duct run is optional.
Other dBSilencer details are:
- At 1,000 fpm, static pressure loss for the non-bullet and center bullet versions are 0.02 w.g. and 0.05 w.g., respectively;
- Custom colors available to match interior designs and fabric ductwork colors;
- Successful beta site tests at the offices of Mi-T-M, an Iowa-based manufacturer of power washing, air compressor and other industrial equipment;
- Available for DuctSox’s Sedona-Xm, Verona, TufTex, DuraTex, Microbe-X, Stat-X and Rx fabrics;
- NFPA-90 approval for flame and smoke development;
- Included in every dBSilencer is overlap material for seamlessly concealing the fabric/metal collar connection;
- Five-year warranty;
- Less expensive than metal sound attenuators or insulation-lined metal duct;
- Ideal for retrofit as well as new construction projects.
For more information on the dBSilencer fabric sound attenuator or other DuctSox textile air dispersion products and accessories, visit the DuctSox Web site.