by Brianna Crandall — November 7, 2016 — Energy management solutions provider Zen Ecosystems has just announced the launch of Zen HQ, a simple, cost-effective energy management system. Zen HQ is designed to fit the unique needs of enterprises with multiple locations via a simple connected platform that reportedly reduces annual energy bills as much as 30 percent. With these dramatic returns, the Zen system pays for itself in less than a year, delivering the fastest payback of any energy management system on the market, claims the company. Zen HQ is already deployed with a number of businesses across the United States.
The EPA estimates that commercial buildings across the United States waste approximately $60 billion in energy costs each year. Of the 5.5 million commercial buildings in the USA, less than 20 percent have installed an energy management system to monitor and manage energy use to contain those costs. Many businesses have been deterred from adopting energy management systems because of high costs and complex deployment and management processes.
Zen HQ overcomes these obstacles with a simple energy management solution designed for easy installation and powerful control over HVAC and lighting costs across multi-site operations, focusing on what makes the biggest impact on a business’s electricity bill.
Leading retailers, telecommunications providers, utilities and energy partners are implementing Zen HQ for smarter controls, building automation, demand management and improved energy efficiency, says Zen Ecosystems. Initial deployments include a rollout with National Stores, a California-based retailer with more than 350 locations across 22 states, with several more major customers to be announced in months to come.
Jimmy Lee, National Stores energy manager, commented:
Energy management systems always seemed like they weren’t worth the hassle. Zen HQ impressed us with fast deployment and real return on investment. Installation has been a snap, and since it’s so easy to use, we’re already making a big dent on our electricity bills. By keeping costs down, we can continue to pass great value along to our customers nationwide.
Zen HQ connects the proven Zen Thermostat and lighting controls in a simple, wireless energy management system optimized for cost reduction. Key features include:
- Intuitive scheduling: HVAC and lighting scheduling is said to be easy with a simple scheduler similar to Google Calendar. Energy managers can use simple drop-down menus to assign schedules to groups or individual locations in 15-minute increments.
- Lockout controls: Local overrides on energy settings are one of the top reasons energy management systems fall short. Zen HQ reduces interference while maximizing comfort with preset heating and cooling schedules via partial or full lockouts.
- Alerts: Notifications in up to 15-minute increments flagging potential issues (e.g. temperature exceeding scheduled set point, units consuming highest amount of energy).
- Painless installation: Zen HQ controls HVAC via the elegant connected Zen Thermostat and connection to lighting controls, meaning installation does not require building a completely new network and can be completed in less than a day. Most energy management systems require complex installations that disrupt business, notes the company.
- Demand response: OpenADR certification and utility integrations mean customers can automatically participate in demand response and energy efficiency programs to slash electricity costs during times of peak demand.
- Integrated monitoring: Zen HQ presents heating, cooling, lighting, and energy usage in a dynamic visual graph across single or multiple sites.
- Access anywhere: The Zen HQ platform is optimized for the computer and smart devices, providing energy managers with control over their facilities from anywhere, at any time.
Senior Vice President Pavel Molchanov at Raymond James noted:
The vast majority of the commercial market hasn’t adopted energy management systems because the payback has typically been up to five years — an eternity for most businesses. Zen HQ is targeting this large overlooked market with a thoughtful new approach that slashes cost and complexity. It’s an exciting proposition for the world of energy management.
Earlier this year, Zen Ecosystems won a contract with Southern California Edison to replace the energy lost in the Aliso Canyon methane leak by providing demand response capacity using Zen HQ and other solutions. According to the company, the Zen Thermostat is the highest-ranking smart thermostat on Amazon and is available through many channel partners, including Telstra.
For more information on Zen HQ, visit the Zen Ecosystems Web site.