by Brianna Crandall — March 12, 2018 — Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) International recently announced the publication of ANSI/AMCA Standard 208-18, Calculation of the Fan Energy Index. ANSI/AMCA Standard 208 defines the calculation method for fan energy index (FEI), an energy-efficiency metric for fans inclusive of motors and drives. This metric provides a standardized and consistent basis for comparing fan energy performance across fan types and sizes at a given fan duty point.
Fan energy index (FEI) has several uses. Fan specifiers can use it to understand and communicate fan-efficiency design intent, while legislative and regulatory bodies can use it to define energy-efficiency requirements of fans. The standard has been written to support the fan industry’s entrance into energy and construction codes and standards and to support utility rebate programs.
FEI is a replacement for fan efficiency grade (FEG), a metric currently referenced in model energy codes and standards such as ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 189.1, and IECC, and in federal regulations in several Asian countries. FEI will replace FEG as it is adopted through change proposals as part of routine revision cycles. AMCA will expand its Certified Ratings Program to cover FEI later in 2018.
ANSI/AMCA Standard 208 covers all fan and motor sizes and all applications tested in accordance with:
- ANSI/AMCA Standard 210, Laboratory Methods of Testing Fans for Certified Aerodynamic Performance Rating;
- ANSI/AMCA Standard 230, Laboratory Methods of Testing Air Circulating Fans for Rating and Certification;
- ANSI/AMCA Standard 250, Laboratory Methods of Testing Jet Tunnel Fans for Performance;
- ANSI/AMCA Standard 260, Laboratory Methods of Testing Induced Flow Fans for Rating;
- ISO 5801, Fans — Performance Testing Using Standardized Airways; or
- ISO 13350, Fans — Performance Testing of Jet Fans.
All other fans are excluded (including air-curtain units tested in accordance with ANSI/AMCA Standard 220, Laboratory Methods of Testing Air Curtains for Aerodynamic Performance Rating).
ANSI/AMCA Standard 208-18, Calculation of the Fan Energy Index, is available for purchase at the AMCA Online Bookstore.