by Brianna Crandall — February 11, 2019 — The Professional Retail Store Maintenance Association (PRSM), the organization for retail, multisite facilities management (FM) professionals and suppliers, has just released its newest publication, Best Practices: Janitorial, a collection of PRSM’s most actionable and dependable case studies that support FM professionals as they develop and execute janitorial programs.
The 12 best practices featured provide insights into the different aspects of a janitorial program, such as:
- Developing the scope of work;
- Establishing a cleaning schedule;
- How to maintain different floor surfaces; and
- In-house vs. out-of-house programs.
The case studies include:
- Self-Performing vs. Third-Party Service Delivery in Floor Care and Janitorial Trades
- Consolidating a Locally Managed Janitorial Program into a Corporately Managed Program
- Janitorial Program Management — Self-Perform / Subcontract / Both
- The Importance of Quality Assurance
- Attendance Tracking by IVR or Geotag/Geofencing
- Hours-Based vs. Performance-Based Contract
- Cleaning Service Bundling: Increased Results & Efficiency
- Floor Care Scheduling
- Keep Floors Inviting and Clean — No Matter the Type
- Hard Floor Care That Makes Retail Shine — A Holistic View
- Extending the Life of Your Carpet
- Creating a Standardized Cleaning Chemical Program
Bill Yanek, CEO, PRSM, remarked:
Janitorial is one of the retail industry’s largest expenses. In fact, According to PRSM 2017 Retail Facilities Maintenance Industry Overview, janitorial expenses are the third largest expense for retail brands — representing 13 percent of retailer’s annual maintenance expenses.
PRSM’s 2019 Best Practices: Janitorial is available to download from the PRSM website.
PRSM has numerous additional resources to help retail FMs improve performance and stay up-to-date on breaking trends and industry issues. Resources include: quarterly white papers on leading industry issues; online learning courses such as Retail Facilities 101; the Retail Facilities Benchmarking program; industry research-based Trends Reports and Online Buyer’s Guides, the association’s bi-monthly magazine Retail Store Maintenance (print and electronic), and PRSM Weekly (a news-focused e-newsletter).